Friday, January 30, 2009

Materials

I take pride in the materials I use to create my pieces. After spending some time examining different bead types, I have chosen to exclusively use Swarovski crystal. Swarovski provides high quality, precision cut beads. They shine spectacularly and are uniform in shape and cut. I, like many consumers, can easily tell the difference between crystal and glass or plastic beads, and prefer the best! Therefore, I only use the best.

All of my metals are 92.5 sterling silver or gold filled. Most people recognize the quality associated with sterling silver, but few understand the differences between gold plating and gold filled. The later actually results in more gold in the piece in addition to being sturdier. Gold-filled items are 50 to 100,000 times thicker than regular gold plating. I use gold filled materials to achieve the quality and look of gold without the high cost associated with pure gold.

My jewelry frequently contains pearls. Most of my pearls are Swarovski, but I do have some fresh and cultured pearls as well. Each pieces will specify which type of pearl is used.

I occasionally use other materials such as stones or wood. All stones are carefully selected to ensure high quality. In addition to those materials listed, sometimes I like to try something new and use something unexpected.

No comments: