Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My Story

I started making my own jewelry when I was about 13. One of the first pieces I remember is a yellow necklace strung from seed beads. It was made to match a bright yellow shirt with lady bugs on it. Back in those days, I strung on fishing wire stolen from my brother's tool box. I didn't know about how to finish properly, so I tied the ends of the string with knot over knot, then used a match to burn the ends, melting it into a "secure" closure/mess.

After high school, I put my creative energies into other crafts. In 2004, at the encouragement of my husband, I decided to pick up jewelry making again. I knew there must be better ways to close a necklace than burning the ends with a match, so I started buying books. I am self-taught and proud of the level of skill I have been able to achieve. I learned (more advanced) stringing, wire wrapping, and how to properly attach a clasp (hurray for crimp beads).

Throughout the journey, I have experimented with different techniques. Some I have learned to love, others are not my thing. There are still many things that I would like to learn, but I love creating. I hope that the buyers of my work will love it as much as I do!

I am inspired by all sorts of random things. I love color and want my pieces to be fun, inspiring, and something that will be a go-to accessory for years to come. I am a bit of a perfectionist and will not call a piece done, until I love it in every way.

On a personal note, I am married and a mother to a toddler daughter.

No comments: