Monday, February 23, 2009

Trunk Show Lessons

On Saturday I was one of the vendors for the MS Society's Women Against MS Boutique. I know a lot of the staff and it was fun to see them. I went to the show with the hope of selling and the goal of learning all I could from my market. Here are a few lessons I learned.

  1. Bring more lighting. Even having a small lamp would have really helped to showcase my pieces a lot more.
  2. Reconsider packaging. I love my packaging and I think it sets me apart from my competitors. But the ladies at this show didn't care too much about it.
  3. Bring a larger stand-up mirror. I always have a handheld mirror but a larger one would have been nice. These ladies were carrying programs, purses, and champagne. They didn't have an extra hand to hold up a hand mirror.
  4. Do more to use vertical space and put my pieces right in front of their faces. I DID buy bed risers to lift my table and I think that helped. But I could/should do more.

I had a lot of fun at this show. I made a few sales (always great!) and saw old friends. Plus I learned a lot. This will help me at the next show I do. I plan to make learning a goal for every show I attend. After all, I can always improve. What have you learned at different shows?

No comments: