Friday, February 27, 2009

Organizing Beads

When I first started making jewelry, I was really excited. I bought a bunch of supplies, beads, wire, etc. I soon realized that I needed a system for all my great supplies since thrown haphazardly into a basket was not working so well for my sanity.

I set off in search of something that would both organize and be efficient. I first came across the flat bead organizers with flip-top lids. I quickly decided that wouldn't work me. Mostly because I didn't want to end up with a stack of 6 bead organizers and have to pull each one off the stack to see what was in the one underneath. Or to pull down the stack every time I wanted a bead from the bottom case. I knew that inevitably the bead I wanted at the moment would be in the bottom case. So I've moved on.

Next I came to the tall, round, plastic organizers. Those are a nice use of vertical space. But round things don't line up as pretty and I wanted something that would hold more that 6 types of beads.

Finally, I made my way out of the craft store and into the hardware store. There I found what I was looking for. Honestly, I'm not sure what they are called, but my dad used something similar to store screws and nails and such. It's a big square organizer with lots of little drawers. The ones I have contain 5 rows of little drawers (6 across) and three rows of big drawers (3 across). In one neat organizer I get 39 drawers.


Initially I thought the big drawers would be too big and less efficient than the smaller drawers. But I have found they come in handy for larger items like wire coils, a bench block, and stringing material.

I got out my trusty label maker and put labels on all the drawers so I can easily see what is in them without opening them. I currently have two of these large containers. One houses all my findings and gemstones. The other holds all my crystal, divided by color.
I have also experimented with keeping beads in the little plastic bags or taking them out. I have found for me, it's easier to keep them in the bags. That way they are always labeled, live with their twins and don't get lost. I also like to keep my silver in their little bags to prevent oxidizing. What organizing has worked for you?

4 comments:

Amy's Treasures said...

This is a great idea! I've seen big wall unit sized organizers like this in beading magazines. But there's no reason you can't use things from the hardware store. They work!

One day I'll have the room to do something like that. Right now I use a bin I picked up at big lots and have small gladware type containers that I store things in. I also have one of those bead organizer compartment things, but I think the gladware containers are used more and better. That and those stacking containers you can pick up in the dollar section at target.. It works and is portable.

But I also don't have the space to do something more substantial, so this is good for now.

Paperelle said...

Oooh, I love it. So logical, and not too space-consuming. I'll definitely keep this in mind when planning the craft area in my new apartment.

Audrey said...

WOW!!! That's a lot of beads and a wonderful storage system.

Dee Dee said...

I have been searching for a new system and this sounds great. I have been making jewelry for nearly 15 years and have tried so many different types of storage. I had the tall round screw top jars that screwed onto each other but those became a nuisance then I moved on to tackle box type flat containers like you described. I labeled each container for a specific color and that seemed great but like you said, if I wanted blue beads, they would always be the container at the bottom of the stack. I had a Keurig coffee maker that sat on top of a drawer that held the coffee pods. When my Keurig quit on me, I used the drawer system and had individual jars that fit into the drawer perfectly. Only problem is, I have to keep the space in front of the drawer clear for pulling out the drawer. However, it is handy for space to set items on top such as a couple of old coffee mugs that I put my tools in.
My bead "studio" is set up in a spare bedroom and there is a bed right next to my work table and I always end up with my "tackle boxes" spread out all over the bed and it is just a mess. The drawer you show is on my list. Thanks.