Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Be the Wow!

I have been spending a lot of time cruising the Etsy forums and looking at lots of other shops. I have been flipping through the Buy pages to see what others offer and trying to gain some insight. Most recently I have been trying to really pay attention to the items that catch my eye. Why that one? Is it the colors, the background, the piece? What about it makes me want to click into their shop to see more?

I am slowly starting to realize that for me, it's the WOW factor. I make jewelry. I know how to string beads and thus, am not impressed by strung beads. But, show me a necklace intricately wire wrapped or some difficult metal work, and I am impressed. That's what makes me what to click into a shop. The WOW factor of something that isn't easily replicated.

Along this line of thought I have decided that I want to BE the WOW. The competition is fierce and if I want to make this work, I'm going to have to stand out. I've decided that I want to learn more, advance my skills to be the WOW that only a few possess. The last few nights I have been working on a new piece that is a bit out of my element. I finished it tonight and am still deciding if it's totally done. It's unlike my other work. It took much more time and planning. I am trying to find the balance between my passion for creating and making something others want to buy. But this is the first step for me in becoming the WOW. I am excited to keep walking this path of self discovery.

I am adding this post to Works For Me Wednesday. Be sure to visit to join in on the fun.

3 comments:

MediMonsters said...

Looking at your widget on the side over there>>, your jewelry is beautiful. It definitely has the WOW factor and is pulling me in.

....off to check out your shop!

Vanessa said...

Great photos and the WOW factor definitely pull me in. Good luck with your shop!

Craig and Liz said...

Your photos are wonderful. How do you get the perfect white backgrounds?